After the last post about running Wine in Docker, it was time to try and actually use the image to perform a build.
The first time I tried, the build crashed due to some sort of exception. It turns out the following sequence of events was to blame:
- NMAKE, running under
- During its
DllMain, this DLL calls
_wfindfirst64i32(), passing it the path to
FindFirstFileWwhich returns a
WIN32_FIND_DATAWstructure, which includes a
FILETIMEmember for each of creation, last access, and last write times.
- Pass each of those timestamps to a function that:
FileTimeToLocalFileTimeto convert it to local time
FileTimeToSystemTimeto convert it to a
- Passes each member of the
SYSTEMTIMEstructure as arguments to another function, which raises an
0xC000000D) if the
Yearargument is not between 1970 and 3000, inclusive
When Docker, using its union filesystem, starts the container, the file access times are zero, which is midnight, 1970-01-01. When this date is converted to local time (in EST timezone, which is UTC-5), the timestamp is five hours before midnight, 1970-01-01, which puts the year at 1969. This caused an exception to be raised whenever NMAKE would run.
The solution was quite simple: Removing
/etc/localtime made the system use UTC time, which avoids the problem.
(When I find my notes, I will explain how I leveraged WINE's debugging facilities to track down this very elusive problem.